November 21, 2014
By frequently replacing the filter within your home furnace, you cannot only benefit economically but you can also experience numerous health benefits. A clean furnace filter will not just lower your overall heating bill each month, but it will also keep the proper amount of air flowing at a consistent pace, which will minimize dust and allergens within the home. To ensure that you receive the aforementioned benefits, have a look at the furnace filter replacement tips below.
- Purchase multiple filters – As a general rule, filters for your furnace can be somewhat expensive; however, if you choose to buy them in a bundle – such as two or more – then the price is drastically reduced per furnace filter. By purchasing furnace filters ahead of time, you will have one readily available when yours need to be replaced meaning that you will more likely to actually replace the furnace filter when needed.
- Purchase higher quality filters – Believe it or not, the quality of the furnace filter makes an incredible difference. By purchasing a higher quality furnace filter, you can rest assured that it will last longer in addition to the ability to control more types of airborne particles. When looking for filters, examine the side of the filter or the filter’s packaging for the MERV number, which is the Minimum Efficiency Reporting Value. The higher this number, the higher the quality of the furnace filter.
- Change the filter frequently – Your furnace filter should be replaced at least once each three months, which is four times a year. However, if you have pets in the home or just recently had remodeling work performed on the house, then it is vital you examine your furnace filter on a more consistent basis to ensure that it is replaced at the most appropriate time.
- Purchase a pleated filter – Generally, there are two types of filters: pleated and fiberglass. A fiberglass furnace filter is the cheaper of the two; however, dust is accumulated much easier and the filter is more susceptible to clogging. When the filter becomes clogged, the efficiency of the furnace is lowered and your energy bill will increase due to the increased energy consumption. The chances that your furnace fails and breaks down is also heightened. A pleated furnace filter, on the other hand, is much more efficient in terms of keeping particles under control. They may be more expensive, but they are a much better value overall.
- Purchase a reusable filter – The absolute best value that you can purchase when it comes to furnace filters is a reusable furnace filter. A reusable filter can be washed and then replaced in the furnace. However, if you don’t clean the filter often enough, it could become impossible meaning that a new one will be required.
In need of a furnace filter replacement? Contact Feehan Plumbing today!
Our Service Areas